Monday, August 06, 2007

Things That Could Kill You at The Bug Party

There now follows a photographic selection of potential hazards to health or shipping, as encountered at the Rockland Lobster Festival:

Deep fried haddock

Blackbeard the Pirate (aka Brian the toboggan racer)

Country & Eastern music

Carnies

Seemingly home made rides...

...rides that might have seen better days...

...and large rides that fold up into a truck, like a low-rent Transformer. Optimus Sub-Prime, if you will.

And finally, monkfish. Ugly, tasty buggers.


I swore blind I wasn't going to attend this year and still found myself on the festival grounds 3 out of 5 days this year- one day volunteering to talk about seaweed in the Marine Industries Tent (a subject about which I know very little). Such is life, I suppose.

9 comments:

T. Oklahoma Bandwagon said...

Where were you at the Rustic Overtones and/or Enter the Haggis shows? I only saw the former, and it danged near killed me ... in a good way, of course. Mostly, it killed me to see all of those nice kids bouncing around in front of the stage, causing me to realize it has/had been about 10 years since the only other time I saw Rustic O-T. Of course, unlike them, I could (legally) drink when I saw them. And I did. Oh, how I hearted StoneCoast brewery, it's fine ales, and it's terrific music venue. I blame Chitwood for its demise. Not sure why, but it reads snappily, eh?

T. Oklahoma Bandwagon said...

Remove the apostrophes from "its" twice, please ... God? Please. Bill Gates?

mainelife said...

I dropped in to make sure you'd survived the weekend, but I had no idea that there were so many dangers...glad to see you've made it through in fine form

Wisdom Weasel said...

I didn't make the Rustic Overtones show because I was too busy maintaining my Spin Doctors Fan Club listserv.

Anonymous said...

"Spin Doctors Fan Club..."
I just ripped that CD into iTunes. Don't hate.

Wisdom Weasel said...

Who am I to diss neo-Bohemian caucasio-funk ska jam bands? Nobody, that's who.

Margaret Porter said...

It looks like Blackbeard the Pirate is trying to kidnap that adorable infant.

When's the Monkfish Festival? I'd make every possible effort to attend that one!

What the hell happened to the Stone Coast brewery??

Maestra said...

I wonder what you what you had to say about seaweed. I bet you could have spoken for hours on the subject. Too bad you didnt get the chance

Wisdom Weasel said...

Margaret- its alright, I know where he lives. And as for monkfish, damn delicious, but who the hell first thought "yum! that's looks edible"?

Deb- I was on seaweed duty for 2 1/2 hours. Luckily, I only had to know more than the folks walking past my table (I won't swear I didn't make some 'facts' up)

MainePages.com