Wednesday, February 01, 2006

History Friday on a Wednesday

Just one more. And it is totally relevant, so lay off with the egghead, boffin business:
On This Day, Feb 1: 1979: Exiled Ayatollah Khomeini returns to Iran

The Ayatollah - a title meaning Gift of God - emerged from his chartered plane looking tired and tearful to meet the 1,500 religious and political leaders allowed to meet him in the terminal building....He was openly belligerent towards the current government of Prime Minister Shahpur Bakhtiar.

"These people are trying to bring back the regime of the late Shah or another regime. I will strike with my fists at the mouths of this government. From now on it is I who will name the government," he claimed.

Dr Bakhtair responded by saying: "Don't worry about this kind of speech. That is Khomeini. He is free to speak but he is not free to act."


Ooops, Dr. Bakhtair. Misjudged that one, didn't we?
"You like me! You really like me!"

No comments:

MainePages.com